Since 1996 Colleen Fanning has garnered comprehensive experience working with individuals who are newly acquiring, fully engaged collectors, and museum trustees. Her distinguished portfolio of collectors and arts professionals give her access to some of the most important works of art around the world.
After 13 years working in the public sector she established herself as a private art advisor and founder of Fanning Art Advisory in 2008. For almost twenty years, she has worked largely with clients in U.S and Mexico to develop art collections for both public and private patrons.
Fanning received a BFA in Art History from University of Colorado in 1996. Following her undergraduate studies, she held positions in the highly regarded Denver Public Art Program and Denver International Airport for two mayoral administrations, including Wellington Webb and John Hickenlooper. At the time, Fanning commissioned site specific works with notable artists, Larry Kirkland, Bernar Venet, Ed Ruscha, Dennis Oppenheim, Donald Lipski, Luis Jimenez, Fernando Botero, Jonathan Borofsky, Betty Woodman, and Buster Simpson.
In private practice, she has made placement of blue-chip contemporary artists, Yoshitomo Nara, Takashi Murakami, Zhang Huan, Louise Bourgeois, Charles Partridge Adams, Roger Shimomura, Alexander Calder, Ed Ruscha, Catherine Opie, Marilyn Minter, Carlo Dolci, Robert Peterson, Damien Hirst, Madison Fred Mitchell, Mikey Pallas as well as numerous emerging an mid-career artists.
As a young girl in San Francisco, it was her grandmother who inspired her life in dance and the visual arts. Coming from a lineage of artists, art collectors and musicians, the arts are where Colleen has spent tens of thousands of hours. It was the weekly visits to the de Young Museum and Legion of Honor where her grandmother taught Colleen about the visual language of expressing an idea. Today, her education as an art historian provides the understanding of how great art expresses the times from which the artist comes, to give us an understanding of history.
As an art adviser Colleen Fanning supports her clients in building discerning art collections. Her distinguished network and her admired tenacity ensures she will go after that prized work for you, or help you divest your collection in an expedient, discreet manner.
She offers unique opportunities to her clients giving them access to artists' studios, private collections and VIP access at international art fairs.
Fanning’s Mission: To help clients look at and learn about art in an historical and aesthetic context. To cultivate artistic appreciation, Fanning provides quarterly events for collectors giving them the opportunity to learn and expand their connoisseurship of fine art.
what we've accomplished
9 years Private Art Advisory services resulting in:
- 800+ private transactions between 2008-2015, with no dedicated sales team
- Strategic business development for Start-up Company resulting in 400% growth
- 10 private collections divested for the art collector and their families
- 12 annual clients with annual acquisition budgets up to $850,000
- 100’s of special research & valuation projects
- 100’s of important works conserved, re-framed, properly stored ensuring future value
- 50-500% + ROI on acquisitions and divestment of artworks
19 years public art management resulting in:
- 40 contract negotiations from $20K $10M as clients’ representative
- 21 public and private art collections managed
- 23 editorials in publications such as NY Times, WSJ, USA Today
- 25 public art dedications orchestrated with key stakeholders i.e., mayor, governor, collectors, donors, museum trustees
- 75+ artist commissions for public spaces and private art collections
- Multiple projects as consultant on legal team ensuring positive outcome on complex issues related to Visual Arts Rights Act (VARA)
- Dean's Advisory Council, University of Colorado Denver, College of Arts & Media
- Board of Advisors, Arts & Humanities in Healthcare, University of Colorado Center for Bioethics and Humanities, Anschutz Medical Campus